Plan an Event in 7 Days
Many successful events have been started with little time to spare. An event can be simple. In fact, it’s possible to plan a Walk, Bike & Roll to School Day event in one week. Here’s how it can work:
- Obtain the school principal’s approval for a Walk & Roll or Bike & Roll to School Day event.
- Once you have the principal’s approval, register the event to be counted among the millions of participants. Registering your event will also give you free access to extra resources and promotional materials.
- Invite students and parents to participate. If the school has a listserv, use it to announce your event. Download fliers that can easily be printed on a home computer.
- Recruit volunteers to help distribute fliers and, if desired, to greet walkers and rollers on the big day.
- Make an intercom announcement to remind students to walk or roll to school tomorrow.
- Create posters or a banner that will greet students when they arrive at school with phrases such as: “Thanks for walking;” “Happy Bike & Roll to School Day;” “Hike it. Bike it. I like it!” or “It’s cool to walk and roll to school!”
- Event day is here! Take photos of walkers and riders (if allowed by the school).
- As students arrive, ask them to contribute to a list like: Ways they got their parents to walk, bike and roll to school with them, Top 10 reasons to walk and roll to school and/or Top 10 things that need improvement to make walking and rolling to school easier and safer. Save the students’ lists to get ideas for next year’s event.
On the go? Print these tips in flier format here!