Someone who is passionate and determined to follow through to achieve results can be a powerful asset to an event.
A school champion may understand:
- The benefits of walking and biking to school.
- How to work with school and local officials.
- The need for both patience and perseverance when something new is introduced to a community.
A school champion could be a physical education teacher, a principal, a parent — or you!
If you find someone who could be an asset to your event, consider approaching them for collaboration, advice, expertise or support.
- Ask if he or she is already planning a similar event. If so, see if you can lead the effort together.
- Ask if he or she has organized a walk or bike to school event before. If so, ask about their experience and lessons learned when planning the event.
- Ask if he or she would like to volunteer at your event. Consider volunteering for one of his/her initiatives in exchange.